Guerilla Advertisement

Out of the four types of advertising presented in The Persuaders, the one I found most interesting was guerilla advertising. Similar to the concept of guerilla warfare where one side attacks mostly through espionage and ambushes, guerilla advertising seeks to catch the consumer off guard and get their attention. Because advertising has become, so oversaturated, people are numbing to it, and as such new methods are needed. Seeing ads in a magazine or on television doesn't work as well since the consumer expects it and is likely to tune it out. So instead of doing something interesting to catch the attention of potential customers, advertisers now just stick ads on everything in hopes that consumers will notice.
「guerilla advertising」的圖片搜尋結果
Personally, I don't notice guerilla advertising a lot in my day-to-day life. While I can't speak for everyone, this seems to suggest that guerilla advertising has become less effective, and as such may need to become more innovative or just get replaced. For instance, I've seen ads on the sides and wings of planes at airports, but I can hardly remember what it was advertising. I know bench ads typically are for dentists, lawyers, and politicians, but I can't for the life of me remember a name or even a slogan of a single one of those signs. Playbooks often advertise food or drinks, but I never stop to notice what exactly it is, so it has little effect on me. The consequence of advertising everywhere is that we ignore said advertising because it doesn't pertain to what we're interested in.

If companies could find better ways to tie their products in to whatever medium they're advertising in, I think it would be more effective. If the product is still related to wherever it is placed people might stop to pay attention, but right now I'd just as soon ignore it. Unless I just happen to be looking around, I'm not going to care about your new shoe company plastered onto the side of a bus. I have things and people I'd rather look at. So until advertisers find a better way, they'll just keep trying to surprise us and we'll keep ignoring them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TOP 5 SEXIEST MALE POLITICIANS (NOT CLICKBAIT)

The Deal With Marvel Movies

Talking Politics Online